It really pays to make sure your deck is tidy and looking its best at all times. After all, not only is your deck an ideal place to relax after a long day at work, spend some quality time with your family, or enjoy an outdoor party with your friends, it’s also a major aesthetic element of your property that contributes to its curb appeal.
Needless to say, the easiest and most effective way to do this is by booking professional deck cleaning services in Fort Collins. But what if you don’t have the time to call in the experts, or if you simply want the satisfaction of doing it yourself?
In previous articles, we answered some common questions about residential decks and discussed some concerns homeowners have when planning a new deck. Now we’ll give you a short guide on how to clean your deck like an expert. Read on.
What is the best way to clean decking?
In addition to making your deck look more appealing and sanitary, deck cleaning is also an excellent opportunity to inspect it for any signs of wear or damage. If you find any problems, be sure to have them addressed by a qualified technician.
First, prep your deck by clearing things up a bit:
- Remove all the furniture, grills, pots, rugs, and decorations. Check for branches, leaves or any kind of debris especially between the deck boards. Think about using organic waste as compost for your garden plants.
- Water the plants near your deck and wrap them up into plastic or old cloth to protect them from chemicals. Don’t forget to let them breathe when you finish.
Now it’s time to give your deck a good scrubbing:
- Before you begin, make sure you’re wearing rubber gloves, eye protection, and a face mask, especially if you’re going to be using any harsh chemicals. Keep in mind that many cleaners also come in eco-friendly variants.
- Start by scrubbing away any grease marks that may remain on your barbeque grill. Thoroughly rinse before applying any other cleanser.
- Grab your broom or a heavy-duty vacuum cleaner, and use them to remove small dust and dirt. If there are a lot of leaves or other light debris, blow it away with a leaf blower.
- Most of the cleaning liquids are based on oxygen bleach or some kind of acid, such as vinegar. Whether you buy it or use a homemade recipe, be careful when you scrub over the boards. Read about the ingredients and avoid ones that may be damaging to the material your deck is made of.
- If you don’t want to use heavy-duty products, a bucket with soap and water should be more than enough to brush away most of the dirt. In case you do not have the protective equipment, this would be a safer method.
- Once you’ve scrubbed the deck clean, hose it down with the garden hose. Make sure there aren’t any inorganic leftovers since they damage the wood. Let the deck dry.
Where can I book reliable deck cleaning services in Fort Collins?
Handyman Connection of Fort Collins is an established home repair, and maintenance company that caters to clients across Fort Collins and other cities in Colorado. Whether you’re looking for reliable deck cleaners, highly qualified plumbers, or experienced electricians, you can count on us to meet your every home improvement need.
Get in touch with us today if you’d like to learn more about who we are and what we can do for you. We’re looking forward to making your home the best it can be!