Alfred Hitchcock once said: “Happiness is a small home with a big kitchen.” Oh, how true those words ring! The kitchen is not just the place where food is prepared, but a safe haven where thoughts flow freely, conversations come naturally, and memories are made lovingly.
However, not everyone is blessed with a sprawling, spacious cooking space straight off the cover of a home design magazine. Does that mean we should forgo all those good times and simply “deal with it”, rendering the hearts of our homes into mere “microwaving stations”? Absolutely not!
With a pinch of creativity, a touch of ingenuity, a spoonful of careful planning, and a handful of tips from a reputable kitchen renovation service from Fort Collins, you can have a stylish, functional, and inviting cooking space that you and your family will love and enjoy.
How do you remodel a small kitchen space?
To make the most of your compact kitchen space, you should carefully consider the following three factors:
- Storage solutions to maximize the space;
- Design options to enhance functionality;
- Style & color to elevate the aesthetic appeal.
Prioritize storage space
Even the largest kitchens can seem tiny if they’re infested with clutter. As such, your top priority is to find the most effective way to store all those pots, pans, utensils, and other common kitchen items.
Fortunately, today, you’re spoiled for choice when it comes to ingenious and compact solutions. Here are several suggestions:
- Think vertically when space is at a premium. Installing floor-to-ceiling cabinets and utilizing wall hooks or pegboards can free up much-needed drawer space, as well as make it easier to get your bearings while preparing food;
- Multi-purpose furniture (e.g. a kitchen aisle with built-in storage, a dining table that doubles up as a workspace, etc.) maximizes both storage space and the utility of your kitchen;
- Compact/slimline appliances fit beautifully in small kitchens and, with today’s technology, they also pack quite a wallop in terms of raw power;
- Smart storage solutions like pull-out pantries and spice racks can help keep your kitchen organized and efficient;
- Corner shelves are the most underrated and underutilized furnishings that can add an insane amount of space to any kitchen, big or small.
Design makes the difference
Exactly! Some design solutions can not only maximize the storage and functionality of your kitchen but they can also create an illusion of space. Therefore, these solutions are definitely worth considering:
- Open shelving in place of upper cabinets not only creates a sense of space but also doubles up as a display case for your favorite dishes and cookware. Plus, it makes it easier to find what you need, which is only a bonus;
- Transparent materials such as glass or acrylic are a phenomenal alternative if you’re not a fan of open shelving. They serve the same purpose while creating an open and airy feeling;
- Sleek, handleless cabinetry gives your kitchen a modern, streamlined look and eliminates unnecessary protrusions that obstruct the walkways, thereby saving even more space (as well as your head, shoulders, hips, and other appendages that we use to hit handles with on a regular basis).
Hack the space with style
It is a well-known fact in the world of interior design that colors, lighting, and style choices can make any space seem grander, deeper, and bigger. Needless to say, you should use that to your advantage. Here are some suggestions:
- Light colors (e.g. white, off-white, cream, soft pastels, etc.) work wonders for small kitchens, as their reflective capabilities make the space appear larger;
- Under-cabinet lighting is an amazing solution for adding a touch of futurism to your cooking space and boosting its overall functionality;
- A standout feature, such as a stylish countertop or a statement lighting fixture creates a focal point that diverts attention from the kitchen’s actual size;
- Maximize natural light, either by enlarging the existing window(s) or adding a skylight to flood your kitchen with brightness and make it more open and inviting.
Who offers top-notch kitchen renovation service near me in Fort Collins?
Looking to maximize the space, improve functionality, or add a touch of sophistication to your compact kitchen? Look no further as Handyman Connection of Fort Collins brings you a plethora of expertise-based home improvement options.
Whether you’re located in the middle of the Old Town, Waterglen, Ridgewood Hills, or anywhere in between, you can count on our adept team of designers and craftsmen to deliver a solution to fit your unique needs and style. Reach out to us today!